…and still have a good time!
I don’t know about you but the forthcoming school holidays always fill me with joy and dread. Joy that I get to spend time with my gorgeous girl but dread because I still need to find time to work.
Full disclosure – I take a financial hit during the holidays. I’m not truly working – instead I reduce my hours massively and take on new projects that start in September. I posted about how I save before the holidays in this post and I’m currently beavering away to try and set up work from September.
I do this because I never want to feel torn between choosing work over time with my daughter. I am really LUCKY that I can do this because of my freelance lifestyle. My work tends to be on a project by project basis. I’m not forgetting this and we all know the benefits AND the negatives of a freelance gig but it is a choice I am currently choosing to make.
So during the holidays I do:
- Check my email – everyday and I answer anything pressing from my phone.
- Work for an hour every morning and in the evening.
- Check in with clients – wish them a happy summer or just remind them that I’m ready to start in September
- Network through meeting with ex-colleagues for a drink or coffee when I’m child-free.
- Plan a day every fortnight when I am child-free and can binge on work stuff/admin
- Revise any plans/goals for the Autumn
- Assess my financials – where am I in invoicing/earnings.
I can thoroughly recommend that you have a look at the article here by Skills you need website.